Does everybody love baby animals, or what?
I love writing about animals–lots of series with horses, dogs, cats. I think I’ve even written three horse births, all delivering those adorable foals. They’re “foals” until they become fillies (females) or colts (males).
My father-in-law just got a black lab puppy, 8 weeks old, and it’s already housebroken. Our sweet Shih-Tzu “puppies” will soon turn 10 years old, and I confess that we’re still working on making them 100% housebroken. But they’re still loveable.
So, here’s a quiz. You’ll find the answers below (not upside-down, so no cheating). You’ll also find these answers, and more in my new book pictured above.
I’ll list the name of the baby animal, and you shout out the name of the grown-up animal that Baby will become.
- Joey (trick question–more than one answer gives bonus points)
- Calf (bigger trick question; more answers, more points!)
- Cub (tricky, tricky, tricky)
Answers: (No peeking!) (Answers aren’t exhaustive, just exhausting.)
- Kangaroo AND Wallaby AND wombat
- Cow, Gnu, Antelope, buffalo, camel, elephant, giraffe, hippo, moose, reindeer, rhino, whale, yak
- Deer, pronghorn
- Guinea fowl
- Pigeon (I know, I know…)
- Lizard, Alligator, turtle, birds
- Katydid, louse, grasshopper
- Bat (gottcha!), Armadillo, coyote, dog, dolphin, gerbil, Guinea pig, hamster, mole, shark, rat, squirrel, wolf
- Lion, leopard, tiger, White Sox fan (just kidding), bear, cheetah, hyena, leopard, walrus, raccoon, walrus
- Goat, grown-up