Kid in a Box — a vain attempt to keep them from growing up
Here are some more insights from children I interviewed:
Me (to boys K-2nd): Who’s the boss at your house?
- “My dad’s the boss of our house because my mom said so.”
- “My mom is the boss of our house. She’s so good at it she’s even the boss of her work.”
- “My dad really is the boss of our house . . . till Grandma comes over. Then he’s just one of us.”
Me (to girls K-2nd): What was your mom like when she was your age?
- “I don’t know because I wasn’t there, but my guess would be . . .pretty bossy.”
- “They say she used to be nice!”
Me: Why do you think we even have mothers?
2nd-grade boy: “She’s the only one who knows where the Scotch tape is?”